Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Pretty in Pink

This is a 1986 romance starring a love triangle consisting of Molly Ringwald as Andy, Andrew McCarthy as Blane and Jon Cryer as Duckie. Andy and Duckie are poor and from the wrong side of town. Blane is the rich boy who never wants for anything...except Andy. This movie is Molly Ringwald's favorite movie that she did.

The triangle consists of Blane loving Andy, Andy loving Blane, and Duckie loving Andy. Unfortunately for Duckie, Andy has and will always love him as a friend only. Her true love is Blane. There is also a sub-plot involving Andy and her father dealing with her mother having walked out on them. The father daughter scenes really get to me as I am a Daddy's girl!!

In the original ending and book, Andy and Duckie end up together but after testing audiences, the ending changed so that Andy and Blaine ended up together. I am still not sure how I feel about this one...I wonder if I would have preferred the romance being Andy and Duckie. What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

MB said...

I vote for Andy and Duckie as well. He is the one who TRULY proved his love for her!!

Kelly said...

Hmmmm, Duckie drove me nuts. It was high school, she had to fall for the cute guy:-)

MB said...

But was he really that cute by the end?