Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Vanilla Sky

This is a 2001 film by Cameron Crowe that stars Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz, and Cameron Diaz. It does not come across initially as what one would call a "chick flick." I will admit that the first time that I saw this film, I did not like it. The reason being that I had a preconceived notion of what the film was going to be about and would not let go of it throughout the entire film, right up until the ending. Because I thought the film was going to be about one thing, I had a very hard time understanding what the film was about.

I felt that the film warranted a second viewing to determine if I could figure out what it was about. This time, I really enjoyed the movie and felt like I understand what the message of the movie was. I believe that the tag line to the movie says it all "Forget everything that you know, and open your eyes." Once I did that, I understood the film and actually ended up loving it.

With it being a Cameron Crowe film, it goes without saying that it has an awesome soundtrack. I love the music when Tom is riding up on the elevator to a song called "Elevator beat" composed by Nancy Wilson of Heart (also Cameron Crowe's wife). I also like the song at the very end which is called "The nothing song" by Sigur Ros.

Open your eyes, watch, and let me know what your thoughts are on the movie



The second clip is a slow motion showing of what Tom saw as he was falling from the building

No comments: